Historic Mowrey Mansion at Ladd’s Addition for sale at $ 2,280,000


When Ladd’s Addition of Southeast Portland was young, over a century ago, drivers drove cars through diagonal streets and past diamond-shaped rose gardens, hallmarks of the city’s first planned community. .

Adjacent to one of the gardens is a large Georgian-style mansion, which cost $ 10,000 to build in 1910 and is for sale for the first time in three decades. The asking price: $ 2,280,000.

The stately home, named Mowrey Manor after its original owners Abraham and Mary Mowrey of Eastside Mill and Lumber Co., sits on 0.28 acre land, an almost triangle that consumes an entire block of this neighborhood unconventional and very popular.

The 5,090 square foot mansion located at 1718 SE 16th Ave. was designed by Marion Stokes, a prolific second-generation architect for Portland-based design-build firm Stokes & Zeller. The longtime owners have restored and updated the house topped by a spectacular two-story portico.

“Once you step into the fairytale world of Ladd’s Addition, you don’t want to leave, and one very lucky client has the chance to lead Mowrey Manor in their next chapter of the story,” said William Gilliland of Windermere Realty Trust, which calls its listing a once in a generation opportunity.

The last time the property was sold was 33 years ago.

The row of entry windows and second-level balcony are located to capture a view of a rose garden as well as Craftsman and other classic-style homes in the historic Ladd’s Addition district.

The neighborhood, on Hawthorne and Division Streets Southeast and Twelfth and Twentieth Avenues Southeast, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

“Mowrey Manor provides a spectacular backdrop for indoor and outdoor entertainment while nesting its residents in plain sight,” said Gilliland.

The terraces overlook the landscaped park, which has a bluestone patio for outdoor dining and a greenhouse with a hot tub.

“Mowrey Manor is ideal for those who want to be in the center of the amenities of the community, but still seek privacy,” said Gilliland, “as well as for anyone who can appreciate the historical significance and authenticity of the House.”

The Ladd’s Addition “Residential Park” development was designed in 1891 by William S. Ladd, the Portland banker, investor and mayor, who celebrated his namesake rectangular property with two diagonal lanes, creating four isosceles triangles.

These were divided into smaller triangles, quadrilaterals, parallelograms and trapezoids.

As Eugene Snyder noted in “Portland Names and Neighborhoods”: “Seen from the sky, the subdivision resembles a British flag set on the grid of the checkered streets of the East Side of Portland.

The 1910s when Mowrey Manor was completed were a vibrant time in Portland. People flocked to new homes on the east side of the Willamette River thanks to bridges and streetcars connecting residents to jobs.

After Abraham Mowrey’s death in 1917, the property was sold and used as wartime accommodation and later as a guesthouse with self-contained units. The current owners have restored the original layout, removed eight ad hoc kitchens, and made updates that replicate the high-end finishes of homes from the turn of the 20th century.

Original features that have survived include the elegant staircase, three fireplaces and custom woodwork. The hardwood floors and walls adorned with decorative wainscoting and moldings rise 10 feet to meet the coffered ceilings on the ground floor.

The four bedrooms on the second floor have nine foot high ceilings. The third level has ceilings approximately eight feet high and the partially finished basement has ceilings 7.5 feet high.

The remodeled kitchen features a solid maple butcher island and granite countertops alongside the Viking gas cooktop and double ovens, built-in fridge and freezer, and dishwasher. The butler’s pantry has a wine cooler and sink.

On all four levels is a family room, a veranda with window seats offering a view of the garden and 4.5 renovated bathrooms.

Structural updates include new electrical wiring, plumbing, and sewer line. After a seismic renovation, energy-efficient insulated walls, double-glazed windows and a new roof were installed as well as an electric car charging station in the detached car-shaped garage.

– Janet Eastman | 503-294-4072

[email protected] | @janeteastman

Learn more about the Portland and Oregon real estate market:

• Modern SE Portland house with imposing interior atrium and cold steel plunge pool for sale at $ 2,222,000

• A modern castle, near Portland’s Pittock Mansion, is up for sale for $ 5 million

• 1923 NW Portland Craftsman with contemporary renovation for sale at $ 1,750,000

• Analysis finds landowners in Portland’s most diverse and gentrified areas hardest hit by fines for violating the code

• Millennial First-Time Home Buyers Face Cash-Rich Baby Boomers: ‘Hang on’

• West Linn riverside mansion, unfinished for 25 years, back at auction from $ 3.25 million

• Private Island Lake Oswego Estate Sold to Mystery Shopper for What Could Be a Record Price



Comments are closed.