Malaysian man sheds tears of joy after crossing Causeway for first time in 2 years, Malaysia News

It was the first time he’d driven across the Causeway in two years, but it’s a trip he’d happily take any day now to be with his family. The emotional moment even made the Malaysian shed tears of joy.

The man, surnamed Hou, recorded his entire journey which began on Thursday (March 31), just before the roadway reopened at midnight on April 1.

The 54-year-old foreman of a stainless steel factory told Chinese-language publication 8world that he had worked in Singapore for 25 years. Before the pandemic, he commuted daily between his home in Johor Bahru (JB) and Singapore. Hou has been living in his company’s dormitory for two years since the restriction of travel between the two countries.

When asked why he wanted to be the first to cross the causeway, Hou said, “On March 17, 2020, I drove my car to Singapore before the lights went out at the land border checkpoint. April 1, 2022, I want to drive in Malaysia the day the lights come back on.”

Noting that the closure of border crossings had been unprecedented, Hou said he wanted to “witness the historic moment” of the reopening of checkpoints.

Hou was so excited by the prospect of finally being able to drive home that around eight o’clock on Friday evening, he headed for the road that connects the causeway to “familiarize himself with the route and check if there is had police there to control the traffic.” “After all, it’s been two years,” he added.

He had originally planned to dine and chat until 11 p.m. with friends, but decided to leave earlier because he had heard that lanes were already opening for motorists at Tuas Checkpoint.

When he got to the Kranji Road which leads to the Woods Causeway, there was already a long line of cars waiting to make the trip to Malaysia.

The line finally started moving at 11:45 p.m. Hou added that the queue at the immigration checkpoint only took 25 minutes, which was “faster than I thought”.

He reasoned it might be because his Malaysian-registered vehicle might be one of the few remaining in Singapore during the pandemic.

The moment he crossed the causeway and arrived in Johor, Hou said his tears were flowing.

“You can’t imagine the feeling of being so close to home and not being able to come back,” said Hou, who arrived home around 1 a.m.

He woke up his wife and they spent some time chatting before falling asleep.

Hou told 8world the next day, “My wife said that I can continue to stay in the dorm if I’m too tired to cross the road every day, but the house is always the best. I can watch my children grow up and I have my wife next to me. We were finally able to have breakfast together this morning.

After breakfast, Hou crossed the causeway back to Singapore for work. He said the immigration clearance only took five minutes. He attributed the smooth traffic to the fact that it can take a few days for vehicles registered in Malaysia to obtain a vehicle entry permit (VEP) to enter Singapore. “My car was still in Singapore so I could get in,” Hou said, sharing that some of his friends tried to get in but were forced to turn back because they didn’t have the required permit.

[email protected]

Comments are closed.